The Mikoyan fighters in a nice Wings of Russia documentary.
A nice Wings of Russia documentary about the successful development of Mikoyan Design Bureau/MiG Corporation – from the MiG-1 to the newer 4+ generation MiG-29 variants like the MiG-29KUV and the 4++ generation MiG-35.
Wings of Russia: Take off into the future 1/2
Wings of Russia: Take off into the future 2/2
New MiG-29 variants: MiG-29KUB and MiG-35
- KAB-500Kr TV-guided bomb
- Kh-35E (AS-20 Kayak) subsonic anti-ship missile
- Kh-31A / Kh-31P anti-ship missile with active seeker
- R-27ER1 extended-range air-to-air semi-active-radar missile
- R-27ET1 extended-range air-to-air infrared missile
- RVV-AE medium range air-to-air active radar-guided missile
- 3M-14E / 3M-54E1 land attack cruise missile / anti-ship missile
- Kh-29T TV-guided missile
- KAB-500LG laser-guided bomb
Mikoyan MiG-29K/KUB Fulcrum-D
The Mikoyan MiG-29K/KUB is a 4+ generation carrier-based multirole fighter jet (now on the official MiG website also classified as 4++). The MiG-29K has hands-on-throttle-and-stick control (HOTAS), multi-function radar and very modern cockpit displays. Also, the weaponry is very modern (see image above).
The program was not successful until the Indian Navy were interested in that carrier-based fighter jet after they bought a former Soviet aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov (now recommissioned as INS Vikramaditya).
The Russian Navy preferred the Sukhoi Su-27K, but the Mikoyan Design Bureau did not stop developing the MiG-29K variant despite a lack of financing after the financial crisis following the end of the Soviet Union. The smaller MiG-29 has an advantage over the Su-27 as a carrier-based fighter jet as it uses less valuable space in the aircraft carrier.
Mikoyan MiG-35 Fulcrum-F
The Mikoyan MiG-35 is a 4++ generation variant of the MiG-29 based on MiG-29M2 and the MiG-29K/KUB. Due to the 30% increased maximum take off weight, the MiG-35 is now classed as a medium-weight aircraft. The MiG-35 fighter jet has improved avionics and weapon systems.
[CSSBUTTON target=”http://www.flyfighterjet.com/fly-mig-29-russia-sokol-nizhniy-novgorod-moscow/” color=”#F22F2C”]Supersonic Flight in the MiG-29[/CSSBUTTON]
Additional Articles and Ressources
- MiG-29 K/KUB on the official MiG Aircraft Corporation website
- MiG-35 on the official MiG Aircraft Corporation website
- Soviet Fighter Aircraft in the Jet Era – Video series
- Which is the better aircraft? MiG-29 vs F-16
- Which is Fastest Plane in the World?